Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Create new volume vs. recycle volume

2009-12-10 16:15:03
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Create new volume vs. recycle volume
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Brian Clarkson <brianc AT lnstar DOT com>, bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 16:11:53 -0500
On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Brian Clarkson <brianc AT lnstar DOT com>
wrote:

>> > Wouldn't the volume retention period need to be shorter?
>> >

>> Retention period is how long to keep the volume before it can be reused.
>
> So if I don't want to reuse volumes I should set the retention period to
> zero?

Definitely not. I know telling bacula to keep your backup data for 0
seconds is not what you want. Set this to the amount of time you want
to keep your data after the backup is finished.

> Reusing the files (a volume is just a collection of 512m files per my
> configuration) is what I want to stop.

I got you there. As you mentioned you need to turn off automatic
volume recycling. Please post your configs. Have you had bacula reload
the config file after you have changed it?

John