Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Create new volume vs. recycle volume

2009-12-10 14:54:25
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Create new volume vs. recycle volume
From: Brian Clarkson <brianc AT lnstar DOT com>
To: bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 13:51:19 -0600
On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 11:34 -0500, John Drescher wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Brian Clarkson <brianc AT lnstar DOT com>
> wrote:
> > I've re-read the section on volume retention and volume recycling but
> > I'm still confused.
> >
> > My backup files are being reused even though my director is configured
> > to create new files.  Backups are working on schedule but my secondary,
> > rsync-based backup is failing because the filenames and filesizes
> > haven't changed.
> >
> > I did recently change the value of Recycle back to no.
> >
> > Pool {
> >  Name = Default
> >  Label Format = "${JobName}-${Level}-${NumVols}"
> >  Pool Type = Backup
> >  Recycle = no
> >  AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
> >  Use Volume Once = yes
> >  Volume Retention = 25 days         # one year
> >  MaximumVolumeBytes = 512m
> >  Maximum Volume Jobs = 1
> > }
> >
> > `show pools` within the console looks right:
> >
> > Pool: name=Default PoolType=Backup
> >      use_cat=1 use_once=1 cat_files=1
> >      max_vols=0 auto_prune=1 VolRetention=25 days
> >      VolUse=0 secs recycle=0 LabelFormat=${JobName}-${Level}-${NumVols}
> >      CleaningPrefix=*None* LabelType=0
> >      RecyleOldest=0 PurgeOldest=0
> >      MaxVolJobs=1 MaxVolFiles=0 MaxVolBytes=0
> >      MigTime=0 secs MigHiBytes=0 MigLoBytes=0
> >
> > The output of `list volumes` in the console shows the volumes are full
> > or used, not purged.
> >
> > Do I need to manually mark each volume purged so bacula will start
> > creating new files?
>
> No that would make bacula use the old volumes. Purged is a state of recycling.
>
> >How can I get bacula to create new files with each
> > backup job?
> >

> Make the volume retention much longer. And then apply that to all of
> your volumes.

Wouldn't the volume retention period need to be shorter?

The catalog is exhibiting the correct file naming behavior:

BackupCatalog.2009-12-10_03.10.22-2917
BackupCatalog.2009-12-09_03.10.15-2913
BackupCatalog.2009-12-08_03.10.08-2909

Etc.

My server backup files are reusing old files.

Last night's run includes files like:

Backup_Server2.2009-08-09_01.05.27-Differential-17715
Backup_Server3.2009-08-09_01.05.24-Differential-17711
Backup_Server3.2009-08-09_01.05.24-Differential-17712

All with filesystem dates of early today.  (2009-12-10)

> However I suspect what you really want is after 25 days you want the
> old volume to be deleted. For that you will need to have an external
> script (that feeds commands to bconsole) fired by a cron job or admin
> job.

I do have a cronjob that deletes old file.  My volume list (in the
console) is huge, though.  I guess I need to prune my catalog.

Thanks

Brian Clarkson
Lone Star Internet