Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Create new volume vs. recycle volume

2009-12-10 11:23:13
Subject: [Bacula-users] Create new volume vs. recycle volume
From: Brian Clarkson <brianc AT lnstar DOT com>
To: bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 09:43:50 -0600
I've re-read the section on volume retention and volume recycling but
I'm still confused.

My backup files are being reused even though my director is configured
to create new files.  Backups are working on schedule but my secondary,
rsync-based backup is failing because the filenames and filesizes
haven't changed.

I did recently change the value of Recycle back to no.

Pool {
  Name = Default
  Label Format = "${JobName}-${Level}-${NumVols}"
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = no
  AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
  Use Volume Once = yes
  Volume Retention = 25 days         # one year
  MaximumVolumeBytes = 512m
  Maximum Volume Jobs = 1
}

`show pools` within the console looks right:

Pool: name=Default PoolType=Backup
      use_cat=1 use_once=1 cat_files=1
      max_vols=0 auto_prune=1 VolRetention=25 days
      VolUse=0 secs recycle=0 LabelFormat=${JobName}-${Level}-${NumVols}
      CleaningPrefix=*None* LabelType=0
      RecyleOldest=0 PurgeOldest=0
      MaxVolJobs=1 MaxVolFiles=0 MaxVolBytes=0
      MigTime=0 secs MigHiBytes=0 MigLoBytes=0

The output of `list volumes` in the console shows the volumes are full
or used, not purged.

Do I need to manually mark each volume purged so bacula will start
creating new files?  How can I get bacula to create new files with each
backup job?

Thanks!

Brian Clarkson
Lone Star Internet