Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula spool on SSD -- solid state drive?performance testing?

2009-07-25 20:39:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula spool on SSD -- solid state drive?performance testing?
From: randalls AT bioinfo.wsu DOT edu
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 16:36:09 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
Let me give you guys the skinny on what an engineer told me who deals a lot
with SSDs.  They do have limited read write cycles.  Under "normal" usage, they
last about five years.  So I would have to agree with Kevin on this one.

On our backup system, the spool drives are used heavily and I would not
consider it "normal" usage.  Basically, your expensive ssd drives are not going
to last very long in this kind of setup.  SSD's make good system drives and
good laptop drives where the read and write cycle is more "normal".  Of course,
do not get me wrong, the performance gains of SSDs is very appealing and I have
caught myself considering their application a time or two.

Of course, the price of SSD's may drop as economy of scales becomes more
apparent and SSD's move further along in the product lifecycle curve.  If I had
to make a choice right now, I would go with 15K RPM drives and a good RAID
controller.  Now five years from now, I would probably recommend something
else, but that is why we all love technology, right?

Randall Svancara
Systems Administrator/DBA/Developer
Main Bioinformatics Laboratory