Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula spool on SSD -- solid state drive performance testing?

2009-07-22 17:11:12
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula spool on SSD -- solid state drive performance testing?
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Bob Hetzel <beh AT case DOT edu>, bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 17:07:08 -0400
On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 4:49 PM, Bob Hetzel<beh AT case DOT edu> wrote:

> John Drescher wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 3:30 PM, Bob Hetzel<beh AT case DOT edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> Has anybody tinkered around with spooling backups on an SSD (aka solid
>>> state drive) or a raid-0 pair of them for higher performance?
>>>

>> I spool to a 4 drive sata raid 0 but since I only have a single
>> gigabit nic connection the file system performance is not the limiting
>> factor.
>>
>> John
>
> I'm trying to set up an LTO-3/LTO-4 setup and modern fast (15k rpm)
> conventional hard drives are > $500 each though it seems.
>
> For LTO-2 and below this is far cheaper since the tape drive speeds are so
> much lower but I'd like to keep the tape drive writing at > 60 MB/sec.  In
> addition I'd like to keep concurrency up so one slow backup doesn't drag the
> prolong the others as badly.

How about 2 to 4 150 or 300GB velociraptors in raid 0.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=459

The 300GB models are around $200 USA. Much faster than a 7200RPM sata
drive especially when it comes to seeks.

For SSD it will be very expensive to do that unless you have a small
spool area.

--
John M. Drescher