Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Newbie alert: History, Backing up to File(s)

2009-07-25 11:58:23
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Newbie alert: History, Backing up to File(s)
From: "Timo Neuvonen" <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 18:52:08 +0300
"Toni Mueller" <support AT oeko DOT net> kirjoitti viestissä
news:20090724154330.17119.qmail AT oak.oeko DOT net...

> Hello,
>
> I'm new to bacula and currently a bit confused about the operation of
> Bacula. I'm running Bacula on Debian/Lenny, plus some Bacula Clients
> (-fd) on OpenBSD. All systems are running a 2.4.4 version of the
> package.
>
> First off, I have played around a bit, then tried to start over. In the
> process, I found a hint that I should delete the database and the
> *.state files, which I did. I also deleted everything (dpkg --purge)
> and removed all bits on the file system, including the database and the
> actual backup files, that I could attribute to having belonged to
> Bacula, but still, after re-installing, the old job records keep
> popping up. I'm really confused/scared about how Bacula can manage to
> keep the data, and would like to know what else I could do to get rid
> of that data.

What you tell you did should be enough to delete any old data. A couple of
ideas that came into my mind:

First, there is some very limited job history in the .state files. Is it
possible the old information comes from the .state files of the spesific
clients, did you delete them also, in addition to the .state files of the
server?

Secondly, very recently someone on this list had some problems with
*missing* catalog information after upgrading his system. I think it was
also a Debian based system, and because of the re-install of Bacula had
accidentally been made to use different database engine (SQlite vs. MySQL)
than was originally used. I think this was due to some defaults the Debian
packagers had set / changed by themselves, so the problem didn't originate
from the plain Bacula. Is is possible that some of your experiments were
similary done using another database engine what you thought of, and so you
had had bacula catalog entries in two different database systems without
actually knowing about that?

How did you delete the database? Did you use the drop_bacula_database
script, or did you delete it manually? If still possible, I'd like to
courage you to run this script again, and preferably verify from database
command prompt what bacula-related stuff there is in the database before and
after running this script. There should be no other "hidden" storage for the
catalog information. If the drop script really does not work for some
reason, I think then you need to report a bug (obviously to the Debian
packagers, not to the Bacula bug tracking system)

--
TiN