Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula spool on SSD -- solid state drive performance testing?

2009-07-22 16:55:41
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula spool on SSD -- solid state drive performance testing?
From: Bob Hetzel <beh AT case DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 16:49:43 -0400

John Drescher wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 3:30 PM, Bob Hetzel<beh AT case DOT edu> wrote:
>> Has anybody tinkered around with spooling backups on an SSD (aka solid
>> state drive) or a raid-0 pair of them for higher performance?
>>

> I spool to a 4 drive sata raid 0 but since I only have a single
> gigabit nic connection the file system performance is not the limiting
> factor.
>
> John

I'm trying to set up an LTO-3/LTO-4 setup and modern fast (15k rpm)
conventional hard drives are > $500 each though it seems.

For LTO-2 and below this is far cheaper since the tape drive speeds are so
much lower but I'd like to keep the tape drive writing at > 60 MB/sec.  In
addition I'd like to keep concurrency up so one slow backup doesn't drag
the prolong the others as badly.