Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula spool on SSD -- solid state drive performance testing?

2009-07-22 16:24:05
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula spool on SSD -- solid state drive performance testing?
From: Bruno Friedmann <bruno AT ioda-net DOT ch>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 22:16:19 +0200
Bob Hetzel wrote:
> Has anybody tinkered around with spooling backups on an SSD (aka solid
> state drive) or a raid-0 pair of them for higher performance?
>
> It would seem that the issue of latency introduced by thrashing the hard
> drive with several concurrent readers and writers would be lessened on
> flash ram, but I'm seeing all kinds of info on performance degradation over
> time and unexpectedly low throughput from these devices so I'm wondering if
> anybody has given it a shot yet.

From what I've read, and seen in real life, only the Intel Extreme ssd run long
and hard :-)
But the price is on rendez-vous ... count 1500 € for a 64GB drive.

(So I've not one buy one to make test with bacula spooling, tests have been
made of creating lot's of render video files writing
/reading at the same time)

 I'm also interested if anyone can have a real bacula try on this type of disks.

--

     Bruno Friedmann