Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Newbie alert: History, Backing up to File(s)

2009-07-24 18:26:01
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Newbie alert: History, Backing up to File(s)
From: Maxime <maxime.charpenne AT univ-avignon DOT fr>
To: Toni Mueller <support AT oeko DOT net>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 23:58:47 +0200
Toni Mueller wrote :

> * How do I specify that these backups go to - preferably - one file per
>   backup run, and
In Pool resource definition, you have to set :
Maximum Volume Jobs = 1
see
<http://www.bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Configuring_Director.html#SECTION0014150000000000000000>

> * how do I migrate existing data to their own backup files.
>
> The reason for asking is that I'd like to be able to shuffle around the
> individual backup files, and/or make copies of selected files on
> smaller media (eg. tapes), and to have my backup records in sync with
> "reality" (in the form of actual backup files that I could restore
> from).
Not sure I understand what you want. I think you should define:
  - dedicated job resources for these "existing data"
  - dedicated device resource(s) on the storage daemon(s) to write
backups on the "smaller media".

You won't "copy" the backup files, you have to run job for this.
drawback : the FD runs two times for the same data and send them twice
on the network.
Instead, you should use bacula 3.0.x, there's a new feature that would
fit to your needs (Copy job type):
<http://www.bacula.org/manuals/en/concepts/concepts/New_Features.html#SECTION00320000000000000000>

> So far, I have also defined a number of Storage elements in the
> director's configuration and also the Storage server's configuration,
> but I don't really see how to make this kind of use of it (using
> "label" with a template that includes the date?).

see
<http://www.bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Basic_Volume_Management.html#SECTION002612000000000000000>
and
<http://www.bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Variable_Expansion.html#VarsChapter>

--
Maxime CHARPENNE
Université d'Avignon et des Pays de Vaucluse - CRI