Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Jobs Keep Restarting

2009-07-03 11:44:36
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Jobs Keep Restarting
From: John Kloss <John.Kloss AT jhmi DOT edu>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 08:36:12 -0400
On Jul 2, 2009, at 5:41 PM, randalls AT bioinfo.wsu DOT edu wrote:

> I see that Bacula 3.0 has a duplicate job control feature.  Perhaps
> I need to upgrade to 3.0 and use this feature.  However I believe I
> have something else wrong in my configuration.  I need to read up
> on the configuration options more.  Perhaps there is some setting
> that I have missed.
>
> Anyone else have experience with large jobs.  I have an overland
> neo 2000 with two, lto 3 tape drives installed.

I think what limits the number of jobs is Maximum Concurrent Jobs
defined in the Director or Storage or Pool or Job resource.  However,
I'm finding with Bacula 3.0.1 this configuration option is
_completely_ ignored.

Here's part of my configuration file

Director {
        Name            = Logger-Director-01
        Password        = ******

        Dir Addresses   = {
                ipv4 = {
                        addr = 127.0.0.1
                        port = 9101
                }
        }

        Working Directory       = /opt/bacula/var/working
        Pid Directory                   = /opt/bacula/var/working
        Query File                      = /opt/bacula/var/scripts/query.sql

        Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 10

        Messages        = Standard
}

JobDefs {
     Name       = FileStorage-Main-JobDef-01

     Type       = Backup
     Level      = Incremental

     Pool                                               =
L180-LTO3-Autochanger-Full-Pool-01
     Full                 Backup Pool   = L180-LTO3-Autochanger-Full-
Pool-01
     Differential    Backup Pool        = L180-LTO3-Autochanger-Incremental-
Pool-01
     Incremental  Backup Pool   = L180-LTO3-Autochanger-Incremental-
Pool-01

     Priority                   = 10
     Allow Mixed Priority       = Yes

     Max Start Delay                    = 28800
     Rerun Failed Levels                = No
     Maximum Concurrent Jobs    = 1

     Write Bootstrap    = /opt/bacula/var/bootstraps/%n.bsr

     Messages           = Standard
}

Job {
     Name               = Arking-Job-01
     JobDefs     = FileStorage-Main-JobDef-01

     Client             = Filer01-02

     File Set   = Arking-FileSet-01
     Schedule   = 1st-Sunday-Cycle
}

Pool {
     Name                       = L180-LTO3-Autochanger-Full-Pool-01
     Pool Type          = Backup

     Maximum Volume Jobs        = 0
     Recycle                            = Yes
     AutoPrune                          = Yes
     Volume Retention           = 75d

     ScratchPool                = L180-LTO3-Autochanger-Scratch-Pool-01
     RecyclePool                = L180-LTO3-Autochanger-Scratch-Pool-01

     Storage            = Logger-L180-LTO3-Autochanger-01
}

Pool {
     Name                       = L180-LTO3-Autochanger-Incremental-Pool-01
     Pool Type          = Backup

     Maximum Volume Jobs        = 0
     Recycle                            = Yes
     AutoPrune                          = Yes
     Volume Retention           = 40d

     ScratchPool                = L180-LTO3-Autochanger-Scratch-Pool-01
     RecyclePool                = L180-LTO3-Autochanger-Scratch-Pool-01

     Storage            = Logger-L180-LTO3-Autochanger-01
}

Storage {
        Name            = Logger-L180-LTO3-Autochanger-01
        Password        = ******

        Address         = logger01.igm.jhmi.edu
        SD Port         = 9103

        Device          = L180-Autochanger-02
        Media Type      = LTO3

        Autochanger     = Yes

        Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 2
}

Client {
        Name            = Filer01-02
        Password        = *******

        Address         = 192.168.2.160
        FD Port         = 9102

        Catalog         = Logger-Catalog-01

        File Retention  = 1825d
        Job  Retention  = 1825d
        Auto Prune              = Yes

        Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 3
}

Here's what you would expect to happen

Run Arking-Job-01
Run Arking-Job-01 again

The second Arking-Job-01 should wait until the first finishes because
Maximum Concurrent Jobs =1 in the JobDef.  That's _not_ true,
apparently.  Bacula is perfectly happy to run both jobs _at the same
time_.

Okay, so I try this

Run Arking-Job-01
Run Arking-Job-01 again
Run Arking-Job-01 again, again

At least one of these jobs should wait because Maximum Concurrent
Jobs = 2 in the Storage Resource.  That's _not_ true, either.  Bacula
will run all three concurrently.

Okay, so I try this

Run Arking-Job-01
Run Arking-Job-01 again
Run Arking-Job-01 again, again
Run Arking-Job-01 again, again, again

_Now_ one of the jobs will wait.

So it seems to me that Bacula will pay attention to the Maximum
Concurrent Jobs in the client resource and completely ignore the
configuration item in the Storage and Job resources.

I may be misunderstanding how this all works but I really did go
through the documentation multiple, multiple times.  It's pretty
frustrating because I'm constantly watching Bacula so that I can kill
duplicate Full jobs.

   John Kloss.