Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] bacula v2 + 64-bit windows server 2008

2009-07-02 12:53:32
Subject: [Bacula-users] bacula v2 + 64-bit windows server 2008
From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 17:16:51 +0100
Hi,

in general, we use Ubuntu LTS (hardy heron) for our linux servers.  We're
currently running the packaged version of Bacula on Hardy which is pretty
old (2.2.8).  Even the latest version of Ubuntu (jaunty) is only running
2.4.4 and I saw Kern's recent email saying 2.4 is going to cease support
now.

We have a 64-bit install of Windows Server 2008 which we'd like to back up.
I've installed bacula v2.4.5.  It works fine for the most part, but gives
the error:

  02-Jul 15:15 saturnalia-fd JobId 25: Warning: VSS was not initialized
properly. VSS support is disabled. ERR=The operation completed +successfully.

which is a bit of a bummer.  This is to be our primary NAS and it's likely
users will leave files open all over the place.  It would be far preferable
to have Volume Shadow Copy enabled (that's my understanding of the
bacula/windows page of the manual anyway).

>>From this thread, I gather this may be due to our running 32-bit bacula-fd
on 64-bit windows.
        http://www.adsm.org/lists/html/Bacula-users/2009-01/msg00552.html

I see that there are 64-bit versions of Bacula available but only of bacula
v3+ not v2.  I previously made the mistake of mixing a v3 fd with a v2
director and it didn't work.

So, what are my options to get VSS working?  Do I need to move the director
up to v3 and use hand-compiled bacula dir, sd and fd?  I'd prefer to avoid
that if possible.

Many thanks in advance,
Gavin