Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Is it a good idea to use bacula if Irarely havenetwork connection?

2009-05-24 16:57:31
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Is it a good idea to use bacula if Irarely havenetwork connection?
From: Zhengquan Zhang <zhang.zhengquan AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 15:50:27 -0500
On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 10:35:00PM +0300, Timo Neuvonen wrote:
> Catalog is written by the Director, using some supported database engine
> (like MySQL). In principle, it don't have to reside on the same computer
> with the director, but in this case it obviously has to, since you obviously
> don't have another database server at home?

I have already installed mysql on my laptop( it is running debian
sid).

> So, if you run backups locally to an external disk, you could back up the
> catalog by taking an ascii dump of the database, and copying the dump file
> to the same disk used for actual backup data.

So Can I just back the directory where the database is?

> And remember to back up your Bacula conf files to that disk, too. I mean,
> simply copy them though bacula might also back them up for you, so you'll
> don't have to start from the scratch guessing how was your configuration in
> case you computer some day crashes.

Thanks for this point, I will copy them to a safe place.

> By the way, you never mentioned what OS you have in your laptop. If it's
> Linux, no problem. If it's Windows, AFAIK dir and sd are available but
> currently unsupported in that environment. So running something else but the
> fd on Windows could be a little bit more challenging.

I am running debian linux, so I guess that should not be a problem.

> >> Maybe just the file daemon is enough, and run the job manually when you
> >> know
> >> you'll have the network connection available for a long enough time?
> >
> > This opens me another problem, my laptop ip will be dynamic so It will
> > be hard for the director on a server to find my laptop. I searched the
> > archive and did not find a definitive answer as to dynamically register
> > hostname. But Definetely I will try.
> >

> This shouldn't be a problem for Bacula, if the dynamic ip is registered to
> the DNS. Then you'll just use the FQDN of your laptop in the confs, not the
> ip address. Without knowing the local network there, I've no idea if this is
> possible or not.

I am not very familiar with the dns stuff, So I may sound a little dumb
here. Each time I ssh to another machine, it would say

Last login: Sun May 24 15:38:30 2009 from
wireless-165-124-115-104.nuwlan.northwestern.edu

so I guess temporarily my hostname(or the FQDN) is
wireless-165-124-115-104.nuwlan.northwestern.edu.

But this name is always changing because each time I connect to the
university network, it assigned me a new ip. So I guess if I can have my
hostname(FQDN) fixed, the server can find my laptop using FQDN.

I am using dhcp3-client. So I wonder If I can register my desired dns
through my client side so each time I connect the dhcp network, my
hostname can be registered in the dns server.

Thanks for all the helpful advice!

--
Zhengquan