Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Is it a good idea to use bacula if I rarely havenetwork connection?

2009-05-24 14:43:26
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Is it a good idea to use bacula if I rarely havenetwork connection?
From: Zhengquan Zhang <zhang.zhengquan AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 13:36:48 -0500
On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 03:23:19PM +0300, Timo Neuvonen wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I have already deployed bacula to back up a few servers in a lab
> > environment. Now I wonder if I can do it on my laptop.
> >
> > Most of the time I use the laptop at home where I have not network
> > connection. But occasionally I will bring it to the campus where I can
> > access the university wireless.
> >
> > I plan to install bacula-dir, sd, and fd all on my laptop and make my
> > backup job run hourly.
>
> Running backup hourly, without network connection? To what media? Sounds a
> little bit paranoid to me.

I edit documents at home even when I don't have network connection, that
is why I want to run it hourly. Last time I wrongly edited a document
and found the latest backup I manually made was 3 days ago..

> >  and if I had the chance to connect to wireless
> > network. I will manually run a job which connects to the storage daemon
> > on a server in the lab.
> >

> If you plan to install dir and sd to your laptop too, do you really plan to
> run backups when not connected to university's network? For example, do you
> use some external hard disk as a storage media when not in the network?

Yes, I plan to run backups even when I don't have network connectioin
for my laptop. I plan to backup the data to another home directory named
bacula. backing up to an external hard drive would be a good option too.

> If you plan to backup only to the storage daemon in the campus network, you
> actually have no use of the local storage daemon. And if you still use a

The problem is most of the time my laptop is disconnected so I need to
backup locally first.

> local director, you'll have a problem where to keep the catalog -technically
> you can keep it on your laptop, but if your laptop crashes, you'll have
> trouble with restores if you haven't set up a system to have at least the
> catalog available back *before* being able to run bacula restore job.

Thanks for reminding me this. So as I understand the catlog thing is
written by the storate daemon not the director?

> Maybe just the file daemon is enough, and run the job manually when you know
> you'll have the network connection available for a long enough time?

This opens me another problem, my laptop ip will be dynamic so It will
be hard for the director on a server to find my laptop. I searched the
archive and did not find a definitive answer as to dynamically register
hostname. But Definetely I will try.

So I guess my backup for laptop would be two fold.

1 backup locally no matter I have network or not. on laptop harddrive or
an external harddrive.

2 manually backup to server once I get the chance to connect to
network.(first I need to solve the dynamic ip problem)

Thanks for your help, Timo, I appreciate it a lot.

> > My question is is it a good idea to do so, or if there is better
> > solutions for my situation?
> >
> > Thanks for any insights and ideas.
> >
> > --
> > Zhengquan