Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Is it a good idea to use bacula if I rarely havenetwork connection?

2009-05-24 08:55:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Is it a good idea to use bacula if I rarely havenetwork connection?
From: "Timo Neuvonen" <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 15:23:19 +0300
> Hello,
> I have already deployed bacula to back up a few servers in a lab
> environment. Now I wonder if I can do it on my laptop.
>
> Most of the time I use the laptop at home where I have not network
> connection. But occasionally I will bring it to the campus where I can
> access the university wireless.
>
> I plan to install bacula-dir, sd, and fd all on my laptop and make my
> backup job run hourly.

Running backup hourly, without network connection? To what media? Sounds a
little bit paranoid to me.

>  and if I had the chance to connect to wireless
> network. I will manually run a job which connects to the storage daemon
> on a server in the lab.

If you plan to install dir and sd to your laptop too, do you really plan to
run backups when not connected to university's network? For example, do you
use some external hard disk as a storage media when not in the network?

If you plan to backup only to the storage daemon in the campus network, you
actually have no use of the local storage daemon. And if you still use a
local director, you'll have a problem where to keep the catalog -technically
you can keep it on your laptop, but if your laptop crashes, you'll have
trouble with restores if you haven't set up a system to have at least the
catalog available back *before* being able to run bacula restore job.

Maybe just the file daemon is enough, and run the job manually when you know
you'll have the network connection available for a long enough time?