Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Is it a good idea to use bacula if Irarely havenetwork connection?

2009-05-24 15:41:17
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Is it a good idea to use bacula if Irarely havenetwork connection?
From: "Timo Neuvonen" <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 22:35:00 +0300
"Zhengquan Zhang" <zhang.zhengquan AT gmail DOT com> kirjoitti viestissä
news:20090524183648.GB26472 AT m364d1.ece.northwestern DOT edu...
> On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 03:23:19PM +0300, Timo Neuvonen wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> > I have already deployed bacula to back up a few servers in a lab
>> > environment. Now I wonder if I can do it on my laptop.
>> >
>> > Most of the time I use the laptop at home where I have not network
>> > connection. But occasionally I will bring it to the campus where I can
>> > access the university wireless.
>> >
>> > I plan to install bacula-dir, sd, and fd all on my laptop and make my
>> > backup job run hourly.
>>
>> Running backup hourly, without network connection? To what media? Sounds
>> little bit paranoid to me.
>
> I edit documents at home even when I don't have network connection, that
> is why I want to run it hourly. Last time I wrongly edited a document
> and found the latest backup I manually made was 3 days ago..
>

>> >  and if I had the chance to connect to wireless
>> > network. I will manually run a job which connects to the storage daemon
>> > on a server in the lab.
>> >

>> If you plan to install dir and sd to your laptop too, do you really plan
>> run backups when not connected to university's network? For example, do
>> you
>> use some external hard disk as a storage media when not in the network?
>
> Yes, I plan to run backups even when I don't have network connectioin
> for my laptop. I plan to backup the data to another home directory named
> bacula. backing up to an external hard drive would be a good option too.
>

>> If you plan to backup only to the storage daemon in the campus network,
>> you
>> actually have no use of the local storage daemon. And if you still use a
>
> The problem is most of the time my laptop is disconnected so I need to
> backup locally first.
>
>> local director, you'll have a problem where to keep the
>> catalog -technically
>> you can keep it on your laptop, but if your laptop crashes, you'll have
>> trouble with restores if you haven't set up a system to have at least the
>> catalog available back *before* being able to run bacula restore job.
>
> Thanks for reminding me this. So as I understand the catlog thing is
> written by the storate daemon not the director?

Catalog is written by the Director, using some supported database engine
(like MySQL). In principle, it don't have to reside on the same computer
with the director, but in this case it obviously has to, since you obviously
don't have another database server at home?

So, if you run backups locally to an external disk, you could back up the
catalog by taking an ascii dump of the database, and copying the dump file
to the same disk used for actual backup data.

And remember to back up your Bacula conf files to that disk, too. I mean,
simply copy them though bacula might also back them up for you, so you'll
don't have to start from the scratch guessing how was your configuration in
case you computer some day crashes.

By the way, you never mentioned what OS you have in your laptop. If it's
Linux, no problem. If it's Windows, AFAIK dir and sd are available but
currently unsupported in that environment. So running something else but the
fd on Windows could be a little bit more challenging.

>> Maybe just the file daemon is enough, and run the job manually when you
>> know
>> you'll have the network connection available for a long enough time?
>
> This opens me another problem, my laptop ip will be dynamic so It will
> be hard for the director on a server to find my laptop. I searched the
> archive and did not find a definitive answer as to dynamically register
> hostname. But Definetely I will try.

This shouldn't be a problem for Bacula, if the dynamic ip is registered to
the DNS. Then you'll just use the FQDN of your laptop in the confs, not the
ip address. Without knowing the local network there, I've no idea if this is
possible or not.