Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Giant Job bscan

2009-05-20 03:29:13
Subject: [Bacula-users] Giant Job bscan
From: Glen Davison <glen.davison AT sirca.org DOT au>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 17:09:15 +1000
Dear Users,

a year ago, a former colleague of mine created a simple bacula job definition to archive our (large) data set - against my advice.  (normally we've used home-grown scripts to feed bacula short lists of files to archive)  Over the following few weeks this job filled 103 SDLTs with data, in one single continuous job.  After a couple of failures which meant restarting and losing weeks.

Due to an unrelated stuff-up the tape contents were lost from the catalogue - a misconfiguration no-one picked up led to it being auto-pruned.

I have tried bscanning individual tapes, and sets of consecutive tapes from the start, but the bscan fails to "find" any jobs or files ie. nothing added to DB.  Am I right in theorising that you actually need to bscan all 103 tapes in a single run to re-populate the catalogue?  Do you have to get the order right?

We're running bacula-mysql-2.4.0-1 on RHEL4.

Btw this is all academic now - we decided it was too impractical to try this and have moved on to a better solution.  I'm asking mostly for interest, and to fill out my bacula knowledge.  So there's no real urgency to answer - you have time to finish rolling around on the floor laughing.  ;)

Thanks

Glen

--
Glen Davison                      davo AT sirca.org DOT au
SIRCA Pty Ltd                      Ph (02) 9236 9133