Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] I need an advice about backup implementation

2009-05-19 15:28:26
Subject: [Bacula-users] I need an advice about backup implementation
From: alexander AT nautae.eti DOT br
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 13:23:06 -0600
Hi Everyone.

I really have to make my backup using DVD-R (not DVD-RW, that's DVD-R).

And I will burn DVDs every day (because I have to burn my daly
incremental backup).

And I won't use Bacula's DVD implementation. My intention is to use
file volumes and after burn DVDs with the volumes.

And I can't spend a entire DVD per day (I haven't logistic here to
handle every day DVDs change, it will fail). I'll use a incremental
DVD per week.

So, I was thinking about configure a volume for each logical group
that I have: students, teachers, financial, etc.

And configure each volume as a very small volume (100MB maybe).

So, when the backup starts at the first time I'll have a huge amount
of small volumes and it will be my full backup.

Ok.

After the full (and after burn all the "I don't know how many" DVDs),
the incremental will consume small volumes and I'll will burn these
small volumes.

Why this mess?

Because I want to burn incremental DVDs every day. I can't wait (I
don't want to wait) a 4GB volume to be full to finally burn the DVD.

And if I use 4GB volumes, for the DVDs burn point of view, the volume
will be just another file to be burnt. So, it will be a differential
backup and not a incremental because every day I'll burn the file with
today's backup, but there's already a file (volume) with yesterday's
backup burnt into DVD.

I think small volumes, besides it's not exactly perfect, will spend
only steps of 100MB on the DVD.

So... what do you think? Will it work?

[]s
Alexander