Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Restoring from tapes notin library

2009-05-14 16:41:16
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Restoring from tapes notin library
From: Christopher Dick <jcdick1 AT yahoo DOT com>
To: bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 13:36:31 -0700 (PDT)

----- Original Message ----
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Christopher Dick <jcdick1 AT yahoo DOT com>; bacula-users <Bacula-users AT
lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Sent: Thursday, May 14, 2009 3:28:30 PM

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Christopher Dick <jcdick1 AT yahoo DOT com>
wrote:

> I have a restore job I need to do, but the volumes with the data are not
> currently in the library.  As I have only one mail slot, it will probably
> need to be done in two steps.  The drive currently has the last used
> appendable volume mounted.
>
> Do I need to release the storage and update slots to get Bacula to
> successfully utilize the mailslot to access the first volume, or can I just
> stick the tape in the mailslot and tell it to update to run the restore job?
> And then, I am hoping it will read from the mailslot, and return the volume
> to the mailslot, allowing me to pull it out and replace it with the next
> volume needed.  Is this all a correct assumption?  Do I at least have the
> right idea?

Its all up to you. I mean if the volume that bacula wants is not in
the changer it will prompt you for it. After this happens insert the
volume and then update slots and the mount the device in bacula.

John

----

Okay, so then here is the run of events as I understand them:

1. issue restore command
2. get prompted for needed volumes
3. insert first needed volume in mailslot
4. issue update slots
5. Bacula ejects current appendable volume from drive
6. Bacula loads needed volume and reads
7. Bacula ejects first volume and returns it to mailslot
8. remove first volume and insert second volume
9. issue update slots
10. Bacula retrieves second volume from mailslot and reads
11. Bacula returns second volume to mailslot
12. Remove second volume from mailslot
13. Issue update slots to inform Bacula that mailslot is empty

Is this correct then?

Sorry to be such a bother.

Chris