Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] preserving ownership of restored files

2009-05-14 16:40:26
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] preserving ownership of restored files
From: David Newman <dnewman AT networktest DOT com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 13:35:22 -0700
On 5/14/09 8:29 AM, Martin Simmons wrote:

>>> I would expect restore to do that automatically, using the numeric
>>> UIDs/GIDs.
>>> This should work even if they aren't in the user/group databases.
>> That didn't happen, at least not for me.
>
> Can you repeat it by doing another restore now that you have the user/groups
> set up correctly?

Yes. This time the files were restored with the correct UID/GIDs.

> Does OpenBSD run some kind of periodic security job that resets the ownership
> of files with unknown UIDs/GIDs?

No. Its security checks will complain about incorrect
ownership/permissions on some files, but it will not change them.

>>> Did you restore all files in the backup?
>> No. In bconsole, I did this:
>>
>> 1. restore
>>
>> 2. Option 3, pick relevant job IDs (eight of them, in this case -- one
>> full plus seven incremental backups)
>>
>> 3. cd /directory_to_be_restored
>>
>> 4. mark *
>>
>> 5. done
>>
>> 6. select host to be restored
>>
>> 7. proceed
>
> OK, that should definitely set the UIDs/GIDs of all of the marked files.  Note
> however that it won't set them for /directory_to_be_restored or any
> directories that Bacula created above this.

Might that be the problem? I created a /home/bacula/bacula-restore
directory on the new server as root before running the restore.

>>> Does bls show non root:wheel ownership for the files on these volumes?
>> Sorry, me bacula newbie, not familiar with bls. Where do I run this
>> (director or client) and what syntax to use?
>
> bls is a command line program that you run on the Storage Daemon, probably
> from /usr/local/sbin.  The syntax is like this:
>
> bls -V MyVolume MyStorage

Thanks. Yes, bls shows non-root:wheel ownership for files on the
restored volumes.

dn