Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] phantom filesystems in Windows

2009-04-03 13:00:58
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] phantom filesystems in Windows
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 09:56:23 -0700
Foo wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 17:57:32 +0200, John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT
> com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Kevin Keane <subscription AT kkeane DOT
>> com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> This actually is correct behavior. If you look carefully, you will see
>>> that these two directories are actually not directories at all, but
>>> rather junction points that simply reference other directories somewhere
>>> else. Windows junction points are like a cross between Linux symlinks
>>> and Linux mounts.
>>>

>> I would like to add to the OP that these should be ignored as they are
>> harmless.
>>

> They belong to .net 2.0 and can be included explicitly. If you don't, I
> would expect .net to break in some mysterious way, although it might break
> anyway if Bacula cannot restore junction points (can it?). At least I
> include them to be sure. You'll get warnings about them anyway if you
> include the whole partition, but that can be ignored.
>
> I guess if the restore doesn't work properly, you can always reinstall
> ..net (+ hotfixes/service packs) to fix it, though that's not ideal.
> Thankfully I didn't run into this so far.

Actually, you probably should *not* include these directories
explicitly. Because they are junction points, the actual data is stored
somewhere else, usually on the same file system, and already is getting
backed up. By including the directories explicitly, you would basically
on restore create a real directory instead of a junction point, which
could wreak havoc with .NET updates in the future (as well as many other
issues, I'm sure).

Your suggestion to reinstall .Net is a good one. Personally, I think
that after a restore, it is a good idea to reinstall as much software as
you can, to straighten out any glitches.

Regards,

Kevin

--
Kevin Keane
Owner

Office: 866-642-7116
http://www.4nettech.com

This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or
proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or
disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information herein is
intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named above. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and
permanently delete the e-mail and any copies, printouts or attachments thereof.