Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Mixed Drives

2009-01-26 14:15:59
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Mixed Drives
From: mark.bergman AT uphs.upenn DOT edu
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 13:55:26 -0500

In the message dated: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 22:47:41 +0100,
The pithy ruminations from Jesper Krogh on
<Re: [Bacula-users] Mixed Drives> were:
=> Alan Brown wrote:
=> > On Wed, 21 Jan 2009, Ryan Novosielski wrote:
=> >
=> >> Media type is completely arbitrary. If you want the new drive to be able
=> >> to share media with the old drive, you should use the same media type.

Yes. When we replaced our LTO-2 changer with LTO-3 (keeping the LTO-2 media), I
simply added the new LTO-3 tapes to pools with the "LTO-2" media type.

        [SNIP!]

=> > This is something I raised at least 2-3 years ago. There's been no
=> > apparent interest in solving the issue and likely won't be until one of
=> > the developers encounters the problem.

I'd like to see that supported, but it's not critical...and there are probably
a huge number of vendor-specific corner cases.

=> >
=> > Supported media lists would have to cover r/w and ro support:
=> >
=> > LTO drives are r/w compatible with the previous generation, but read only
=> > with the one before that.
=> >
=> > ie: LTO4 can R/W LTO3 tapes, but only read LTO2 and can't read LTO1 at all.
=> >
=> > (As far as I can tell these are _minimum_ specs for LTO. It's perfectly
=> > possible to exceed them and produce a LTO4 drive which can write LTO2 and
=> > read LTO1, but as far as I know no manufacturer has done that yet.

That's my understanding too.

AIT is a different story, with a well-defined compatability spec. That's the
advantage when the hardware is made by just one company.

=>
=> Sure about that?, the marketing material I've seen shows only read-only
=> capabillity one-generation back and write capabillity one generation, if
=> the tape was un-used before (never written before).

Nope. I've had no problem reading and re-writing LTO-2 media in LTO-3 drives.
Of course, this is a small sample set for anyone to use as the basis for a
purchase or for defining rules in software.

Mark

=>
=>
=> --
=> Jesper
=>

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of
this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for
delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have
received this document in error and that any review, dissemination,
distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail,
and delete the original message.