Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Mixed Drives

2009-01-23 09:08:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Mixed Drives
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: Ryan Novosielski <novosirj AT umdnj DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 14:03:30 +0000 (GMT)
On Wed, 21 Jan 2009, Ryan Novosielski wrote:

> Media type is completely arbitrary. If you want the new drive to be able
> to share media with the old drive, you should use the same media type.
> If not, you should have them be different. It would be best if you could
> make a supported media type list, to allow for backward compatible
> drives, but that's not possible at present.

This is something I raised at least 2-3 years ago. There's been no
apparent interest in solving the issue and likely won't be until one of
the developers encounters the problem.

Supported media lists would have to cover r/w and ro support:

LTO drives are r/w compatible with the previous generation, but read only
with the one before that.

ie: LTO4 can R/W LTO3 tapes, but only read LTO2 and can't read LTO1 at all.

(As far as I can tell these are _minimum_ specs for LTO. It's perfectly
possible to exceed them and produce a LTO4 drive which can write LTO2 and
read LTO1, but as far as I know no manufacturer has done that yet.