Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Mixed Drives

2009-01-23 21:26:02
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Mixed Drives
From: Robert LeBlanc <robert AT leblancnet DOT us>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 19:24:03 -0700

> Anyway, personally, I'd like to see Alans suggestions implemented, but
> neither I nor any of my customers has a setup where that would be
> needed... the original poster might think about how they could support
> development here :-)

Believe me, I'd love to support the development of Bacula especially in
this area. Unfortunately, we have a serious shortage of man power in my
area to dedicate to coding. I would be willing to help with testing to a
point as we only have the one library and it is used for production, it
would have to be "sandboxed" to certain tapes for testing purposes.

An overall idea that I've had is when a job is run, it finds the pool to
put/get the data and knows the SD, the DIR queries the SD to find the
supported media for the devices then selects a drive that matches the
media from the volume. This would remove the Media directive from the SD
directive in the Director config.

To extend this to support backwards compatibility, the media directive
could be split into media-write, media-read directives which could
either support multiple directives or a delimited list of media the
drive supports. This list would be fed back to the director when the DIR
queries the SD for devices to choose an appropriate device.

When we have time and resources we will look into coding it, but don't
hold your breath on that being anytime soon.

Robert LeBlanc
College of Life Sciences Computer Support
Brigham Young University
(801) 422-1882
leblanc AT byu DOT edu