Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Mixed Drives

2009-01-23 15:49:30
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Mixed Drives
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 21:45:58 +0100
Hi,

23.01.2009 15:03, Alan Brown wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2009, Ryan Novosielski wrote:
>
>> Media type is completely arbitrary. If you want the new drive to be able
>> to share media with the old drive, you should use the same media type.
>> If not, you should have them be different. It would be best if you could
>> make a supported media type list, to allow for backward compatible
>> drives, but that's not possible at present.
>
> This is something I raised at least 2-3 years ago. There's been no
> apparent interest in solving the issue and likely won't be until one of
> the developers encounters the problem.

Possible... of course, a patch or even a detailed description how to
implement this would be appreciated, I'm sure (and I know there
already is some detail available but can't find the thread(s) at the
moment :-)

> Supported media lists would have to cover r/w and ro support:
>
> LTO drives are r/w compatible with the previous generation, but read only
> with the one before that.
>
> ie: LTO4 can R/W LTO3 tapes, but only read LTO2 and can't read LTO1 at all.
>
> (As far as I can tell these are _minimum_ specs for LTO. It's perfectly
> possible to exceed them and produce a LTO4 drive which can write LTO2 and
> read LTO1, but as far as I know no manufacturer has done that yet.

I don't know any such drive either...

Anyway, personally, I'd like to see Alans suggestions implemented, but
neither I nor any of my customers has a setup where that would be
needed... the original poster might think about how they could support
development here :-)

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann