Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] jobs getting canceled. again.

2008-05-28 14:52:59
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] jobs getting canceled. again.
From: Tore Anderson <tore AT linpro DOT no>
To: Blake Dunlap <blake AT ISDN DOT NET>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 20:52:46 +0200
* Alan Brown

>> Given your situation (SLA requirements), you really would be better
>> off making sure there's always a free drive in the changer.
>
>> Or another changer/drive available for restores.

* Blake Dunlap

> I'm not sure I understand what that would gain you, as the device is
> still limited by concurrency at the dir, unless you are talking about
> a completely different resource completely (I wasn't aware you could
> do that)?

I actually have two tape drives in the changer and the second one was
indeed intended to be dedicated to restores, but I could never figure
out how to actually keep Bacula from writing backups to it.  I also ran
into lots of trouble with failing backups which I believe was due to the
deadlocks that's been a recurring theme in the last beta release
changelogs (should probably try the latest one).  So right now that
second drive is commented out from my configuration.

I guess I could put it back in but omit the AutoChanger=yes setting, and
resort to manual mounting for restores.  However, as Blake points out, I
think there's still the issue that concurrency is limited both in the
Director{} and in the Storage{} configuration blocks, so even though the
tape drive itself is unused and available, the Storage and/or the
Director resources in Bacula will have all concurrent jobs taken, so if
I understand correctly I will still have to wait for all running jobs to
finish (or cancel them) in order to get my higher-priority restore job
to start.  Please point out where I'm mistaken;  I'm quite new to both
Bacula and backup software in general so I'm probably wrong about a
whole lot of things.  :-)

Regards,
--
Tore Anderson