Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] jobs getting canceled. again.

2008-05-28 06:07:47
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] jobs getting canceled. again.
From: Tore Anderson <tore AT linpro DOT no>
To: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 12:07:34 +0200
Hi,

* Alan Brown

> The only way I've found for restores is to make sure they're the same
> priority as the rest of the jobs.
>
> On a practical note - Job priorities are _very_ useful for ensuring
> that a particular job is the only one running when it runs - eg
> during catalog backups.

I can see the value of that, yes.  I wish we could have both this and a
priority value that only affects the position in queue, though.  I'll
see if I can submit a feature request.

> We make our users jump through hoops for restores - mainly because we
> don't want them to become dependent on the things. Grabbing a file
> off backup tape should be last resort. As part of this hoop jumping
> we enforce a minimum waiting period for restore requests (a few
> hours) which is usually long enough to allow for full execution
> queues or higher priority jobs.

Unfortunately I'm not in a position to enforce this, since I have to
deal with my colleagues instead of (l)users...

It also doesn't help solving the problem where I need to start jobs a
few hours after all the others, and also make sure they finish as fast
as possible, due to those jobs having a narrower backup window than the
rest of the jobs.

Regards,
--
Tore Anderson