Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Problem with Tape Changer, mayber Autolabel too

2008-05-27 04:30:57
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Problem with Tape Changer, mayber Autolabel too
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: Bacula Users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 10:30:16 +0200
Hi,

27.05.2008 10:09, Tobias Bartel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> thanks for the quick reply.
>
>> Well, you don't have any volumes Bacula knows about.
>>
>> Either manually label them ('label barcodes') or let Bacula
>> automatically label them. Automatic labeling is turned on, but I think
>> you could turn it off.
>>
>> Two reasons for this:
>>
>> - When using tape, loading new media involves manual interaction
>> anyway. Issuing the label command is only a minor additional workload.
>> - It's easier to set up and you are less likely to run into problems
>> when, for example, the drive doesn't recognize a valid tape and Bacula
>> decides it should autolabel it.
>>
>> Anyway, have you tried a 'mount' command or a manual label command?
>
> Neither worked but you pointed me into the right direction, THX! I added the
> "simulate barcodes" part from the docs and after the suggested "label
> barcodes" it worked as expected, although i thought auto labeling would take
> care of that.

Ah... well... a tape autochanger without barcodes is a bit difficult.
Personally, I don't like the simulated barcodes because I believe it's
too easy to break things with it. Rather I do things manually in such
a case.

> I assumed that when i put blank tapes into the changer and do an
> "update slots scan" so Bacula knows about them, that Bacula would then label
> the tapes as needed ... guess i was mistaken,

Yes. It's a bit more complicated.

> Btw. is there a "Bacula Best Practices" somewhere?

None that I know about. And even f I find that, for many users,
similar setups are just right there are always cases where you need to
create a more specific setup. That naturally depends on the actual
needs and the equipment available.

> I am pretty sure that my
> config is not even close to what a pro-Bacula user would do.

:-)

Most of the time, I believe (and hope) that an experienced Bacula user
uses the simplest solution that fulfills the needs of the site.
Simpler is better because in case you *really* need your backups you
don't have the time to understand a complex setup.

>>> If anybody has any suggestions, tips or ideas what i could try i would love
>>> hear them.
>> Upgrade.
>> You Bacula is outdated and might suffer from serious bugs.
>> Better do this before going production...
>
> Part of me agrees with you but the other part, the lazy part, really wants to
> stick to the Debian packages. "Apt-get dist-upgrade" is just so much easier
> when there are only debs in the mix ;)

Quite true... though I believe there are more current .deb
repositories somewhere. Not being a debian user I'm not sure where,
though :-)

> Again, thx for the support ;) ... now it is time to find a useable
> webfrontend
> for the "consol-savvy" guys.

bacula-web as a simple reporting front-end, bweb if you want advanced
functionality. Setting up and using bweb is not exactly simple, though.

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann