Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Problem with Tape Changer, mayber Autolabel too

2008-05-26 04:29:15
Subject: [Bacula-users] Problem with Tape Changer, mayber Autolabel too
From: Tobias Bartel <tbartel AT eteleon DOT de>
To: Bacula Users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 10:28:56 +0200
Hallo List,

before i start this is my first Bacula setup and i am fairly certain that i am
making a  newbie mistake but after two weeks of searching and testing i have
to ask for help.

I have two job cycles, one does one full plus six incremental backups to disk,
the other cycle is supposed to do one full backup once a week to tape. The Job
using the file storage works flawlessly, the job using the tapes seems to work
except it is not writing anything on the tape. Before the weekend i dumped the
database and reset the tapes with this script:

> #!/bin/bash
> for i in `seq 1 10`;
> do
>   echo "-$i"
>   mtx -f /dev/sg2 load $i
>   mt -f /dev/st0 rewind
>   mt -f /dev/st0 weof
>   mtx -f /dev/sg3 eject
>   mtx -f /dev/sg2 unload $i
> done

After that i did a "update slots scan" and waited for the job to run, today
the storage deamon shows me this:
> Device status:
> Autochanger "Ultrium-LTO2-Changer" with devices:
>    "Ultrium-LTO2" (/dev/sg3)
> Device "FileStorage" (/data/backup/bacula_file) is not open or does not exist.
> Device "Ultrium-LTO2" (/dev/sg3) is not open or does not exist.
>     Device is BLOCKED waiting for media.
>     Slot 1 is loaded in drive 0.
> ====
>
> In Use Volume status:
> Tapes-0001 on device "Ultrium-LTO2" (/dev/sg3)
> ====

Here are the relevant parts of the storage deamons config:
> Autochanger {
>   Name = Ultrium-LTO2-Changer
>   Device = Ultrium-LTO2
>   Changer Command = "/etc/bacula/scripts/mtx-changer %c %o %S %a %d"
>   Changer Device = /dev/sg2
> }

> Device {
>   Name = Ultrium-LTO2
>   Media Type = LTO-2
>   Archive Device = /dev/sg3
>   Changer Device = /dev/sg2
>   Removable Media = yes
>   RandomAccess = no
>   Autochanger = yes
>   Backward Space Record = yes
>   Automatic Mount = yes
>   Always Open = No
>   LabelMedia = Yes
>   DriveIndex = 0
>   Changer Command = "/etc/bacula/scripts/mtx-changer %c %o %S %a %d"
>
> }

Here from the director:
> Pool {
>   Name = Full-Pool-Tape
>   Pool Type = Backup
>   Maximum Volume Jobs = 1
>   Purge Oldest Volume = yes
>   Accept Any Volume = yes
>   Label Format = "Tapes-"
>   Recycle = yes
>   AutoPrune = yes
>   Volume Retention = 700 days
> }

> Storage {
>   Name = Tape
>   Address = star.local
>   SDPort = 9103
>   Password = "m/k3mhFkxEXzQMbLDWXuGGlJgZX9P3j/kB70CoOQr740"
>   Device = Ultrium-LTO2-Changer
>   Media Type = LTO-2
>   Autochanger = yes
> }

> JobDefs {
>   Name = "WeeklyDef-Full-Tape"
>   Type = Backup
>   Level = Full
>   Schedule = "WeeklyCycle-Full"
>   Storage = Tape
>   Messages = Daemon
>   Pool =  Full-Pool-Tape
>   Priority = 10
> }

> Job {
>   Name = "FirewallOffice-Full-Tape"
>   Client = "FirewallOffice"
>   Fileset = "FirewallOffice-Fileset"
>   JobDefs = "WeeklyDef-Full-Tape"
> }

Here the status of the changer:

> # mtx -f /dev/sg2 status
>   Storage Changer /dev/sg2:1 Drives, 10 Slots ( 0 Import/Export )
> Data Transfer Element 0:Full (Storage Element 1 Loaded)
>       Storage Element 1:Empty
>       Storage Element 2:Full
>       Storage Element 3:Full
>       Storage Element 4:Full
>       Storage Element 5:Full
>       Storage Element 6:Full
>       Storage Element 7:Full
>       Storage Element 8:Full
>       Storage Element 9:Full
>       Storage Element 10:Full

and what mtx has to say about the devices:
> # mtx -f /dev/sg2 inquiry
> Product Type: Medium Changer
> Vendor ID: 'NEC     '
> Product ID: 'LL0101H-0A      '
> Revision: '0002'
> Attached Changer: No
> # mtx -f /dev/sg3 inquiry
> Product Type: Tape Drive
> Vendor ID: 'IBM     '
> Product ID: 'ULTRIUM-TD2     '
> Revision: '38D0'
> Attached Changer: No

I am using the Debian Etch packages of Bacula, so its version 1.38.11-8. If
any information is missing, please tell me, i will do my best in order to
provide anything you might need.

If anybody has any suggestions, tips or ideas what i could try i would love to
hear them.

Thanks in advance,

Tobi

--
Tobias Bartel
tbartel AT eteleon DOT de

eteleon GmbH * www.eteleon.de * Boschetsrieder Str. 67-69 * 81379 München
Telefon: 0180 50 250 75 (14ct/min) oder 089 55270-500 * Fax: 089 99979355
HRB 130835 Amtsgericht München * Geschäftsführer: Tobias Valdenaire, Julian
Valdenaire * USt-IdNr. DE210316816