Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Disabling compression for tape-destined jobs only

2008-05-26 07:17:27
Subject: [Bacula-users] Disabling compression for tape-destined jobs only
From: Tore Anderson <tore AT linpro DOT no>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 13:17:07 +0200
Hi.  I have a setup where I dump full backups to tape, and
incremental/differential to disk.  I would like only to use software
compression for the latter, as the tape drive is able to do it in
hardware for full backups anyway, and I am counting on this to be
significantly faster than the software compression.

I have «compression=gzip» set in the FileSet, and it works fine.
However it seems to come into play for full backups too, at least the
emailed report reads:

  Backup Level:           Full (upgraded from Incremental)
  [...]
  Software Compression:   28.2 %
  [...]
  Volume name(s):         000355L2 <-- this is a LTO3 tape volume

The FAQ says under «Why aren't my files compressed?»:

> There are two kinds of compression. One is tape compression. This is
> done by the tape drive hardware, and you either enable or disable it
> with system tools such as mt. This compression works independently of
> Bacula.
>
> Bacula also has compression code, which is normally used only when
> backing up to file Volumes.

The last sentence there seems to imply that using when using tapes,
software compression will be disabled, but that doesn't appear to be the
case.  How can I disable compression for backups destined for tape,
while retaining it for backups destined for file storage?

Related question:  Is it possible to disable software compression during
backup completely, and instead do this as a post-processing job on the
SD?  The SD is idle most of the day (when no backups are running), so I
figure it would be more effective to have it do the compression then.
That would give me speedier jobs, or so I hope.

Regards,
--
Tore Anderson