Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] cannot access tape device

2008-05-14 09:55:56
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] cannot access tape device
From: Randy Schultz <schulra AT earlham DOT edu>
To: Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 09:56:39 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 13 May 2008, Attila Fülöp spaketh thusly:

-}Mh,
-}
-}what does ls -l /usr/local/share/bacula/mtx-changer reports? IIRC it got
installed
-}as root:root on my setup whereas it should be bacula:bacula.

root dude ? ls -l /usr/local/share/bacula/mtx-changer
-rwxr-xr--  1 bacula  bacula  5559 May  7 13:17
/usr/local/share/bacula/mtx-changer

-}
-}Does "mtx -f /dev/pass1 status" produce reasonable output (as root/bacula)?

root dude ? mtx -f /dev/pass1 status
  Storage Changer /dev/pass1:1 Drives, 8 Slots ( 0 Import/Export )
Data Transfer Element 0:Empty
      Storage Element 1:Empty
      Storage Element 2:Full :VolumeTag=000001L3
      Storage Element 3:Empty
      Storage Element 4:Empty
      Storage Element 5:Empty
      Storage Element 6:Empty
      Storage Element 7:Empty
      Storage Element 8:Empty

-}
-}What does "/usr/local/share/bacula/mtx-changer /dev/pass1 list" show?
-}I assume your changer has a barcode reader. If not try "slots" instead of
"list"

Yupper:
root dude ? /usr/local/share/bacula/mtx-changer /dev/pass1 list
2:000001L3

Is there perhaps some config file that btape uses that I have not yet
configured?  I had thought that with none of the daemons running that all I
would need to work with to get btape working is bacula-sd.conf.  Does btape
need anything out of bacula-dir.conf or any other config?  The bacula-sd.conf
says to make sure dird.conf has any changes made to the Media Type keyphrase.
I have mine set to "Ultrium 2" using the info at
   http://www.bacula.org/manuals/en/concepts/concepts/Supported_Tape_Drives.html
but as I'm new here I may have mis-interpreted something.

-}
-}BTW i have
-}own     pass4   bacula:operator
-}perm    pass4   0660
-}
-}you should at least change the perm from 0666 to 0660. Same holds for the
-}sa0.0 device.

Yeah, I thought of doing this but since right now I'm the only one on the
system with firewalling turned on, I figured it was reasonably safe until I
can get the bloomin' thing running.  I'm just being lazy on that but tnx for
the smack upside the head.   ;>

--
 Randy    (schulra AT earlham DOT edu)      765.983.1283         <*>

Love with your heart, think with your head;  not the other way around.