Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Volume Retention and Recycling

2008-05-09 04:21:23
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Volume Retention and Recycling
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 09 May 2008 10:20:31 +0200
Hi,

08.05.2008 17:43, AJ Kertis wrote:
> I had a question about how recycling works. I was looking at the bacula
> automatic volume recycling page. I have my config for my pool in
> bacula-dir.conf set like this:
>

> Pool {
>   Name = Backup
>   Use Volume Once = yes
>   Pool Type = Backup
>   LabelFormat = "backup-"
>   AutoPrune = yes
>   VolumeRetention = 4 days
>   Maximum Volumes = 2
>   Recycle = yes
> }
>
> I have this to backup every night. Will it try to write more than one
> backup to a volume?

It shouldn't.

> After each backup it created its own file

I hope Bacula created the volumes before each job :-)

> but after
> 2 backups it couldn't find a volume to append to and this must because
> of the line Maximum Volumes = 2. I changed the line to Maximum Volumes =
> 4. Is this correct since it is backed up daily ?

That's better, but four won't be enough.

The retention time begins after the job is finished. The next job that
needs this volume will probably start earlier than that... so you
should either tune down the retention time to something like three or
3.5 days, or allow five volumes for this pool.

Which way to go depends on your needs - if you want to have four
backups available at all times you'll need a fifth volume in the pool.

Arno

> Thanks,
>
> AJ

> Use priority code J8TL2D2.