Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Feature Request: Reconnect On Failure/Continuation of Failed Backups

2008-05-09 04:32:30
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Feature Request: Reconnect On Failure/Continuation of Failed Backups
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 10:33:00 +0200
Hello,

A couple of comments about this feature request:

1. Bacula was designed around the concept that TCP/IP is a reliable service,
therefore the current Bacula implementation would need some major redesign to
be able to restart a failed job.  We have been considering the possibilities
in this regard.

2. This is not currently a project as such that we are working on or are
planning given all the other high priority projects (see below #5 for
qualification).

3. If you want this on the project list, we would like to see a bit of support
from the users -- at the moment, we have had no feedback.  To a very large
extent, the projects we work on are those that interest the most Bacula users
by a voting process.

4. If you are having problems with failed jobs on a LAN, then you have a
broken LAN or some other problem, and the LAN or other problem should be
fixed.  Restarting a backup for a failed job over a LAN is not the solution
to having a broken LAN.

5. We do see a number of failed jobs over Internet where the sysadmin has
little or no control of the quality of the TCP/IP connections. This is
particularly true for backup of laptops out in the field.  We are currently
considering better ways of dealing with laptops -- a full solution is much
more complicated than restarting a job.  This is a problem we intend to
solve, which may or may not respond to your request.

6. When backups fail, the data does not disappear. What was saved (written to
the volume) is there and can be recovered from the Volume -- this is
documented in the manual.

7. Bacula is *very* conservative in the way it works, and we prefer to
re-write data from a job that has failed rather than possibly have problems
because the restart was not correctly done. In fact, if you think about it,
what does it mean to restart a job a day later when you have a partial backup
for which the last block written may or may not be valid?  Whatever is
implemented in the future, this will be the default action, because it is
more secure.

8. What many users forget is that Bacula is a multitasking system that runs
multiple simultaneous jobs to a Volume.  If one of 100 jobs fails while
writing a Volume, you cannot simply append new data to the Volume.  For me
the concept of a "partial" incremental job (one that failed) is rather
complex, and I would find it very difficult to know exactly how you go about
restarting that job 5 hours later.  This doesn't mean that we are not
thinking about the problem and ways to resolve it (possibly by using some of
the new Accurate backup code techniques ...).

9. If you want to submit a "real" Feature request, please include all the
fields with the correct formatting as specified in the Feature Request
documentation on the web site (but first, please try to get a bit of user
interest in this).  Given what I mention above, please take into account that
one of the major problems is to have a viable algorithm for doing what you
want -- this is something that we don't currently have.

Best regards,

Kern