Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula volume (tape) rotation out of order

2008-05-08 19:34:00
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula volume (tape) rotation out of order
From: "Mark Walkom" <markwalkom AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 09:33:54 +1000
Hi All,
I'm new to bacula and this has been dumped in my lap to magically fix somehow, so please excuse any lack of knowledge in my email! After reading the bacula documentation, lots of google and a few other mailing lists and forums I am still a tad confused over this issue and yet to find a resolution so hopefully someone can assist me.

Basically my problem is that the tape rotation order has somehow gone awry.
The rotation we use is WEEK1_001 to WEEK1_005 (Thursday to Wednesday, no changes on weekends) and that changes between two lots of tapes, WEEK1 and WEEK2 which are alternatively stored off site. The tapes are manually swapped and mounted each morning by myself because the automount script 'someone' wrote doesn't always work .

For some reason the rotation order has changed completely and now looks something like this (taken from the log files when bacula requests the next tape);
1_3
1_3
1_3
2_2
2_2
2_2
2_2
2_3
1_5
1_5
2_3, 1_1
1_2
1_4
2_1

The job schedule hasn't changed, the tapes haven't been relabelled or marked as non-recyclable nor has an incorrect tape been inserted out of order, so it has me stumped on what caused it and what I need to do to fix this to get back to the correct order.
Unfortunately the preceding sysadmin only really taught me how to mount and run the basic status commands which means I am learning this all from scratch.

Running bacula Version: 1.38.11 (28 June 2006) on Debian 3.1 (Linux 2.6.18-6-686).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Mark