Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Backup

2008-05-03 13:57:10
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Backup
From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: "AJ Kertis" <akertis AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 13:57:04 -0400
On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 11:16 PM, AJ Kertis <akertis AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> Is there anyway to just delete that backup without deleting the whole
> volume. It seems a bad way anytime you want to delete one backup you lose
> all the backups from the other clients in the volume.
No. Remember that bacula is designed with the same volume restrictions
for disk media as it does with tape.

>I thought if you
> purged a volume that even though the data was still in the volume since it
> wasn't in the catalog it would overwrite it. Is that wrong?
Yes, it will do that but it will not free any space until it is used
the first time after a purge.

> It just seems
> odd that you can't delete something out of the volume or backup. I guess the
> only other way to do this is that every client or backup is its own volume.

If you do that make sure that every client has at least 2 volumes
otherwise recycling still will not work. The reason is at the point of
the recycle you will have no full backups for a client. Automatic
recycling will not work correctly if you only have 1 volume for a
client.

John