Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] bacula-sd crashing

2008-05-03 10:31:36
Subject: [Bacula-users] bacula-sd crashing
From: Erik Persson <erik AT lysator.liu DOT se>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 16:31:26 +0200
Hello!

This would be my first post to this list.  We have deployed three
bacula installations at the company I work for and it has been working
fairly well except for one thing:

Whenever we are running a backup job that causes the tape library to
run out of tapes we usually get sd crashes while labelling (or
possibly even just inventorying) new tapes.  Sequence as follows:

* Bacula wants to mount a tape for pool foo
* unmount is performed
* Magazine is ejected
* New unlabeled tapes are loaded
* Labeling is requested
* bacula-sd dies

This happens pretty much on every attempt.  I am unsure wether it also
happens if just an update slots on appendable/purged media is performed.

We have not seen any crashes while labeling or scanning if bacula is
otherwise idle so defining the jobs so that they are guaranteed not to
run out of tapes does kind of take care of the problem.

A sysadmin friend who has been dealing with mtx (with bacula and other
backup software) told me that it may be a bit lacking when it comes to
error handling and his theory was that the sd may get confused if mtx
returns something bad.

One common denominator for these systems is that they are using
Overland 20-slot libraries and we have noticed that if an mtx command
is issued while a library operation already is in progress we
typically get a SCSI error in return.  Could this have something to do
with it?

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

/Erik Persson