Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Backup

2008-05-02 23:16:57
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Backup
From: "AJ Kertis" <akertis AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 23:16:51 -0400
Is there anyway to just delete that backup without deleting the whole volume. It seems a bad way anytime you want to delete one backup you lose all the backups from the other clients in the volume. I thought if you purged a volume that even though the data was still in the volume since it wasn't in the catalog it would overwrite it. Is that wrong? It just seems odd that you can't delete something out of the volume or backup. I guess the only other way to do this is that every client or backup is its own volume.

Thanks,

AJ

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 5:54 PM, C M Reinehr <cmr AT amsent DOT com> wrote:
AJ,

On Fri 02 May 2008 16:21, AJ Kertis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having trouble understanding how purging and pruning backup jobs works.
> I have a backup that didn't work and I would like to delete it or purge it.
> It is my understanding when you do this that this only happens in the
> catalog. How do you actually get the space back on the file storage? Any
> help or clarification would be great.
>
> Thanks,
>
> AJ

Bacula will not, itself, remove file storage volumes. You must either remove
them manually (`rm filename`) or write a script (bash, perl, etc.) which
identifies purged volumes in the catalog & then removes the actual volumes.
You can trigger these scripts either with run before, run after job
statements, with admin jobs, or even cron jobs.

cmr

--
Debian 'Etch' - Registered Linux User #241964
--------