BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to delete backups

2014-12-10 12:02:05
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to delete backups
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 17:59:07 +0100
Hi,

Colin Shorts wrote on 2014-12-10 16:30:40 +0000 [Re: [BackupPC-users] How to
delete backups]:
> On 10/12/14 15:59, Holger Parplies wrote:
> > Colin Shorts wrote on 2014-12-10 11:45:41 +0000 [Re: [BackupPC-users] How
> > to delete backups]:
> >> You might want to press <Enter> before typing
> >> `/usr/share/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC_nightly 0 255', otherwise it will get
> >> deleted too.
> > right, press <Enter> *before* the command, *not after*. ***Never*** run
> > BackupPC_nightly from the command line. ***Never*** advise other to do so.
> > Really quite simple.
> >
> I was just trying to point out that the commands provided would have
> deleted BackupPC_nightly ;)

yes, and I agree with you there. I strongly disagree with the previous
poster's intended advice, though.

> On 10/12/14 11:41, Stephen Mew wrote:
> ~snip~
>  > rm -fR <backup_number> /usr/share/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC_nightly 0 255
> ~snip~
>
> That wouldn't be good, would it?

I'm tempted to say that it would be better than running the command, but the
comparison is really pointless. Of two things you should simply refrain from
doing, who cares which one would be more harmful?

> But as you say, there is no real reason to run the command as cron
> should take care of it soon enough -

Actually, it's not cron, it's the BackupPC daemon, and this is the whole
point: the daemon needs to have control over when the command is run(ning).

> unless you were deleting a backup to gain disk space urgently ;)

Exactly, and this did not seem to be the case here. And again: even in this
case, you don't run the command manually, you let the daemon run it. It will
do so right away if it is safe, so there's no penalty. If it is *not* safe,
you don't want to override the safeguard.

Regards,
Holger