BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to delete backups

2014-12-10 11:53:40
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to delete backups
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 11:53:38 -0500
Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de> wrote on 12/10/2014 10:59:17 AM:

> Colin Shorts wrote on 2014-12-10 11:45:41 +0000 [Re: [BackupPC-
> users] How to delete backups]:
> > You might want to press <Enter> before typing
> > `/usr/share/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC_nightly 0 255', otherwise it will get
> > deleted too.
>
> right, press <Enter> *before* the command, *not after*. ***Never*** run
> BackupPC_nightly from the command line. ***Never*** advise other to do so.
> Really quite simple.

Why not, exactly?  I do it all the time.  I'm not saying you're wrong:  I just want to know where the harm might be.  But you state the "never do that" in such strong terms, I'm wondering where the disconnect it.

For the original poster:  The only time I need to manually delete a backup is when I need the space, and I need it *right* *now*.  Otherwise I would simply change the FullKeepCnt and IncKeepCnt variables and let BPC clean it up for me.  (Or where I do a backup at the wrong time and it catches a large amount of unimportant temporary files *and* I really need the space and I don't want to lose my history, but that's a very, very specific case that doesn't happen enough to make this a general practice.)

By the way, that's probably the best way to handle this problem.  Set the FullKeepCnt and IncKeepCnt to 1, do a full backup and let BackupPC manage deleting everything for you!  :)

(Also, for completeness, if you delete a single backup, you better know what you're doing, particularly which backups depend on the backup you're deleting.  Or, if you have filled-in backups (like I do), why deleting that full doesn't actually free up any space, even *after* running nightly...  And don't forget to modify the backups file to match the destruction you are doing...  If all of that sounds like too much, simply use the FullKeepCnt and IncKeepCnt and let BPC do the cleanup.)

Tim Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com