BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC for laptops?

2013-12-19 12:05:12
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC for laptops?
From: Carl Cravens <ccravens AT excelii DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 11:03:41 -0600
On 12/04/2013 01:34 PM, Russell R Poyner wrote:
> In my new position I'm looking for options for backing up laptops and
> tablets. Most of these machines rarely connect to our wired network or
> vpn.

We solved this by creating a script on the client side that rsync's the user's
data to a central file server (which is backed up by BackupPC).  That way the
client has control over when the backup runs.  The user actually has control...
they get a pop-up when the client wants to do a backup, and they have the
option of postponing it, in case they're on a slow connection.  They can
manually launch it at any time, as well.  (And they get a warning... it's on
their own head if they postpone the backups indefinitely and then want us to
recover a file they never allowed to be backed up.)

We opened a (alternate) port in the firewall for rsync (via ssh) to connect to
the file server, and the .authorized_keys entry restricts the connection to
running the specific rsync server-mode on a specific directory.  So the laptops
come through the firewall and don't have to be connected to VPN to do a backup.

I can share the code for all that if anybody's interested.

For Android tablets, I use FolderSync, by Tacit Dynamics.  (It's not doing an
"Android" backup.  If you want that, there are specific apps for that.  I use
My Backup Pro, by Rerware.)

FolderSync supports Dropbox, Sugar, etc, but I use it over SFTP to our own
server.  It supports two-way sync, and I use it to sync a data directory.  I
can drop files on the "network" side and they appear on my tablet
automatically, and vice-versa.  Sadly, it doesn't yet support rsync, but the
author is planning to add it.  It's pretty good, but it can't do file
comparisons... it transfers the whole file if any meta-data changes.

For iOS... well, those users are SOL.  IT never said we'd support them.

--
Carl D Cravens (raven AT phoenyx DOT net)
Talk is cheap because supply inevitably exceeds demand.