BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] BackupPC for laptops?

2013-12-04 14:36:27
Subject: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC for laptops?
From: Russell R Poyner <rpoyner AT engr.wisc DOT edu>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2013 13:34:10 -0600
At my last job I built a BackupPC setup that worked well for windows
desktops using vss and rsyncd.

In my new position I'm looking for options for backing up laptops and
tablets. Most of these machines rarely connect to our wired network or
vpn. Which means they are normally separated by our firewall from the
backupPC server. I'm hoping to find a solution that can backup the
laptops over whatever wireless network they happen to be on.

Solutions like CrashPlan, Carbonite or BackBlaze offer continuous backup
over nearly any internet connection. Our users don't want a 3rd party
storing their data so I'm wondering if this sort of thing is possible
with BackupPC.

Russ Poyner