BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC for laptops?

2013-12-04 15:09:43
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC for laptops?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 14:08:27 -0600
On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 1:34 PM, Russell R Poyner <rpoyner AT engr.wisc DOT edu>
wrote:
> At my last job I built a BackupPC setup that worked well for windows
> desktops using vss and rsyncd.
>
> In my new position I'm looking for options for backing up laptops and
> tablets. Most of these machines rarely connect to our wired network or
> vpn. Which means they are normally separated by our firewall from the
> backupPC server. I'm hoping to find a solution that can backup the
> laptops over whatever wireless network they happen to be on.
>
> Solutions like CrashPlan, Carbonite or BackBlaze offer continuous backup
> over nearly any internet connection. Our users don't want a 3rd party
> storing their data so I'm wondering if this sort of thing is possible
> with BackupPC.

I think the best you can do with backuppc would be to configure your
vpn to always give the same client the same IP and ask the users to
connect frequently - and give them web logins so they can start
backups on their own machines at convenient times.

There are other tools like 'owncloud' that might work better to keep a
few folders synchronized to a server you control.