BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Running commands from the command line

2013-03-24 21:13:19
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Running commands from the command line
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 02:11:20 +0100
Hi,

Zach wrote on 2013-03-21 13:46:12 -0400 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Running commands
from the command line]:
> On 03/20/2013 01:44 PM, Holger Parplies wrote:
> > Zach La Celle wrote on 2013-03-20 09:53:04 -0400 [[BackupPC-users] Running
> > commands from the command line]:
> >> I'm trying to manually run commands like BackupPC_nightly and a custom
> >> BackupPC_deleteFiles.pl script from the command line. [...]
> >
> > [...] *never run BackupPC_nightly from the command line*. Instead, let the
> > server run it when appropriate, taking into account running instances of
> > BackupPC_link (in particular, not starting new ones while BackupPC_nightly
> > is running):
> >
> >     % BackupPC_serverMesg BackupPC_nightly run
> >
> > [...]
>
> I've figured out my original problem, and I'm going to document my
> solution here so that an unsuspecting user in the future can figure it out.
>
> I'll say first off that you should listen to Holger and NOT run commands
> from the command line unless you ACTUALLY know what you're doing.

even if you think you do, you probably don't. There basically is no reason to
run BackupPC_nightly from the command line, except perhaps if the BackupPC
daemon is not running (and only then should you consider it).

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. If you want to run BackupPC_nightly *now*, then
tell the server to run it *now*. It will do so unless this is not safe, in
which case you really shouldn't be running BackupPC_nightly now. The server
will know when it is safe to run it (in the near future), and it won't start
conflicting BackupPC_link processes as long as it is still running. But this
only works if BackupPC_nightly is started by the server.

> [...]
> Anyway, my issue was that I was trying to run the binaries from the
> directory where I had downloaded the source for BackupPC, NOT the
> directory that I had actually installed into!

While you probably still need to use the correct BackupPC_serverMesg to
trigger running of BackupPC_nightly, the daemon will use the correct version,
so you sort of get that as a bonus for doing it the right way ;-).

> A great way to recognize
> this is if you see macros like __INSTALLDIR__ in your bin files.  These
> macros should get replaced with your specific install locations.  This
> was causing the Lib->new perl command to fail, causing the error "No
> language settings".

A great way to avoid this is by not having "." in your PATH ;-). Also,
distribution packages are usually a cleaner and easier way to install
software.

Regards,
Holger