BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Pool synchronization?

2013-03-07 20:22:18
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Pool synchronization?
From: <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 20:20:31 -0500
Mark Campbell wrote at about 10:43:04 -0700 on Wednesday, March 6, 2013:
 > I see.  I just assumed that it was possible based on Lars' comments.
 > Something I just noticed as I was browsing through the config files, could
 > it be possible to disable this by changing $Conf{HardLinkMax} = 31999 to 1?

This must be one of the absolute WORST ideas I have heard in a long
time...

First, setting it to 1 would be nothing could hard link to the pool
not even the first backup so BackupPC would probably crash/thrash
immediately. You would at least want to set it to 2 since the pool
file itself is a link.

Furthermore, doing so would really slow things down since now every
duplicated file would lead to a chain that would need to be walked
when adding/comparing a new file. Also, BackupPC_nightly would slow
down as chains would need to be renumbered now most of the time
instead of by exception.

Plus, there might be cases where HardLinkMax will fail if set to 1.

Most of all, why even have a pool if only one file ever links to it.