BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Pool synchronization?

2013-03-01 17:15:55
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Pool synchronization?
From: John Rouillard <rouilj-backuppc AT renesys DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 22:14:36 +0000
On Fri, Mar 01, 2013 at 02:26:35PM -0700, Mark Campbell wrote:
> I find myself rather surprised that this is a major issue in what is
> otherwise a really good enterprise-level backup tool.  Syncronizing
> backups just seems to be a basic element to the idea of backups in a
> corporate environment.  Should the building that my backup server
> resides in burns down, gets hit by a tornado, etc, there should be a
> process whereby you can have a syncronized backup elsewhere.  Also by
> extension, what happens when you want to have a "cluster" of BackupPC?

Handling this at the device/block level with zfs send/receive, DRBD
etc. is another way to handle the sync.

I had some luck running DRBD across a simulated laggy WAN (using WANEM
to simulate the wan) with a subset of 50 or so hosts being backed
up. The compress cycle after each backup did bog things down a bit
though.

--
                                -- rouilj

John Rouillard       System Administrator
Renesys Corporation  603-244-9084 (cell)  603-643-9300 x 111