BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Change archive directory on a per-host basis?

2011-04-05 00:59:35
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Change archive directory on a per-host basis?
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 00:56:52 -0400
Jake Wilson wrote at about 20:53:48 -0600 on Monday, April 4, 2011:
 > Thanks for all the helpful information.  I understand now with the hardlinks
 > that you can't span multiple file systems.  Makes perfect sense.
 >
 > So are you guys suggesting that I setup all my raid disks (or get rid of the
 > raid completely and just use the disks) as one LVM?
I use LVM on top of RAID1. RAID1 gives me redundancy while LVM gives
me expandability. Also, LVM allows for 'snapshots' so that you can do
a filesystem level archive of your backups without having to shut down BackupPC

 > What do I do then?  Do
 > I setup the LVM to be at /var/lib/backuppc (or set a symlink to it) so that
 > backuppc and all of it's pools are on the LVM?
I use a symlink to /var/lib/backuppc.
 > Do I have to reinstall
 > backuppc to make this work or can I just move it?
You shouldn't need to reinstall if you symlink.
Note moving (i.e. copying) a large existing backuppc archive is
challenging due to the large number of hard links (which is why lvm
snapshots are helpful). However, if you haven't started backing up
then just symlink and copy over the top level directory names (trash,
pool, cpool, pc).

 > Are there any pages or wikis or tutorials that discuss this type of setup?
 >  I would imagine there would be as I'm sure I'm not the only one who has
 > dealt with this.

Check the documentation and the Wikki - I'm sure this is all covered