BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Change archive directory on a per-host basis?

2011-04-04 22:56:20
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Change archive directory on a per-host basis?
From: Jake Wilson <jake.wilson AT answeron DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 20:53:48 -0600
Thanks for all the helpful information.  I understand now with the hardlinks that you can't span multiple file systems.  Makes perfect sense.

So are you guys suggesting that I setup all my raid disks (or get rid of the raid completely and just use the disks) as one LVM?  What do I do then?  Do I setup the LVM to be at /var/lib/backuppc (or set a symlink to it) so that backuppc and all of it's pools are on the LVM?  Do I have to reinstall backuppc to make this work or can I just move it?

Are there any pages or wikis or tutorials that discuss this type of setup?  I would imagine there would be as I'm sure I'm not the only one who has dealt with this.

Jake Wilson

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 8:04 PM, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org> wrote:
Jake Wilson wrote at about 18:30:27 -0600 on Monday, April 4, 2011:
 > Really?  You can't specify where archives are stored?  What if your drive isn't big enough to handle all the server backups you need to do?  This seems like a gigantic limitation unless I'm missing something...
 >
 > I read about how BackupPC is an enterprise-ready backup solution but I seriously don't see how that's possible if you can't even tell it where to backup a pool...

BackupPC's claim to fame is its ability to de-duplicate repeated files
by hard-linking to a common pool. Since hard links can only occur on a
single file system, backups are limited to a single file system.

It's not that big a limitation if you use a modern filesystem (with
exabyte or more size potentials) plus/minus LVM to allow the
filesystem to extend across multiple physical disks.