BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Change archive directory on a per-host basis?

2011-04-04 20:35:09
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Change archive directory on a per-host basis?
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 10:32:44 +1000
On 5/04/2011 10:06 AM, Michael Stowe wrote:
>> We have two separate large raid drives in our backup server. For
>> simplicity sake, I'll call them /mount/storage1 and
>> /mount/storage2. We can't have one big raid drive because of our
>> raid controller size limitations unfortunately. So I have two big
>> ones to dedicate to backups.
>>
>> Anyways, back to the question. I can easily remount my raid drives
>> or symlink my raid drives to somewhere in the /var/lib/backuppc
>> directory if I need to, but how do I change the archive path for
>> each client and tell it specifically what path to save to?

Ummm, isn't that what both LVM or MD are for? LVM will combine both your RAID drives and present as a single partition to the OS, and so can MD (use RAID0 between the two big RAID drives)...

There was an interesting article on Linux Magazine recently which focused on multiple levels of RAID and how that impacted on performance and reliability, and discussed the different options/trade-offs which you might like to refer to.

Regards,
Adam