BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] moved server, now stuck in chkdsk

2011-03-28 16:05:38
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] moved server, now stuck in chkdsk
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Chris Baker <cbaker AT intera DOT com>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 22:05:00 +0200
Hi,

Chris Baker wrote on 2011-03-28 13:44:21 -0500 [[BackupPC-users] moved server,
now stuck in chkdsk]:
> I should have figured that I couldn't do this without some problem popping
> up.

well, yes, they tend to do so when it suits you least.

> I shut the server down properly. I moved it. Now when it boots up, it
> wants to do chkdsk.

I presume you mean fsck? To put it differently: please elaborate on your setup
(what version of BackupPC, what version of OS, distribution, FS, hardware,
the usual stuff). Or are we really talking about a Windoze machine? ;-)

> I can't seem to get out of it. ALL I DID was move the thing.

Are you sure everything terminated properly (LVM, RAID, disk buffers flushed)?
I presume you moved it in a way that would be guaranteed not to damage the
hard disk(s), motherboard, etc.? Note that there seem to be a lot of
out-of-spec heatsinks around that weigh more than they should. This is usually
not a problem, but moving a computer with such a heatsink might be a more
delicate matter ...

Another thing to think about: are you operating the disk(s) in the same
orientation as before?

Also, check the hard disk cables. Possibly simply removing and replugging them
(with unplugged computer power cord, please!) might change something (corroded
contacts). Or replacing them. How old is the computer? How long was it in
operation as BackupPC server before you moved it?

> The chkdsk on the logical volume does not complete, and it just
> reboots.

How does it not complete? Are there error messages? Does it quietly die? Did
it (try to) correct some errors, i.e. has it changed anything yet?
What do you mean by "logical volume"? Are we talking about the BackupPC pool
FS? What FS type are you using? How large is the FS? Is it separate from the
OS installation? Do you remember details such as number of used inodes (or
files in pool or anything that might help)? How long does fsck run before the
computer reboots? How much memory does the computer have?

Were there any messages from the BIOS, is SMART enabled for the drive(s)?

> Does anyone have any suggestion on how to get this thing back up and
> running? It was working just fine before I moved it, and that's all I did.

Are you absolutely sure about that? Did you perhaps boot a different kernel
than before, e.g. due to a previous upgrade without reboot? Different versions
of some utilities?

It really depends on the nature of the problem. I can understand that you're
frustrated and probably under a lot of stress right now, but the information
you provided really doesn't point in any particular direction. It could be an
unrecoverable hardware failure or a loose cable, maybe even just an incorrect
BIOS setting somewhere. Or anything in between.

Sometimes it also helps to take a step back. What are you trying to achieve?
1.) Get backups up and running as soon (and reliably) as possible?
2.) Get access to your existing backup history?
3.) Continue backups, keeping your existing backup history?

What resources do you have? Empty hard disks to copy to? Spare machines to try
to access the hard disk from? External cases? Lots of time and man power? :)

I hope there are some ideas in there that help, and I hope you regain access
to your backups quickly.

Regards,
Holger