BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] mysql addon or plugin?

2011-03-26 02:04:17
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] mysql addon or plugin?
From: hansbkk AT gmail DOT com
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 13:02:29 +0700
MySQLdump is a good tool, there are others, but usually the whole
process is scripted to fit the local environment.

Just like many mail servers, databases should be quiescent (the server
stopped) while the dump takes place to ensure consistency. If you want
to really minimize the downtime, then using LVM snapshotting is a good
option.

1. shut down the service
2 take the snapshot
3 re start the service
4 run the dump from the snapshot
5 delete the snapshot
6 let BPC capture the dump

IMO "robustness" comes from regular and thorough monitoring and
testing, ultimately by human sysadmins. Automation tech helps make the
tasks easier, but is not a substitute for human attention and test
recoveries from realistic simulations of possible disasters - even
monitoring and testing systems can break down.