BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] mysql addon or plugin?

2011-03-26 14:48:39
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] mysql addon or plugin?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 13:46:46 -0500
On 3/26/11 12:56 PM, hansbkk AT gmail DOT com wrote:
> I may be wrong here, more reading than experience in this particular
> area, but my understanding is that it would still recommend making
> sure nothing's writing to the database while the dump is taken.
>
> For a heavily used transactional systems with complex relational
> structures, IMO it's possible that otherwise there would be data
> inconsistencies - e.g. this table's been updated but that one hasn't
> yet completed.

In theory, sql databases are supposed to enforce this at a transactional level
so if your server crashed you could recover to a consistent state after a
reboot
and an LVM snapshot should be approximation of that.  In practice, applications
tend to not use transactions correctly for everything, partly because mysql has
a history of not supporting them, and LVM has a history of not propagating the
needed information anyway - so stopping the app cleanly is still a good idea if
it is at all practical.